(not my pic, dawg)

9.22.2011

St. George, UT

The bachelorette party was great. Camilla's future sister-in-law put up some really awesome decorations and we ate chocolate fondue and played games. We put on masks and Camilla wore a veil and plastic tiara, with a tiger striped bra over her cardigan. We went to Walmart, having a contest to see who could pick out the most bizzare bedroom props. Then Camilla opened boxes of lacey corsets to many dirty jokes from the guests (myself included).

It definitely exceeded my expectations. I pictured a bridal shower type shindig, but what actually transpired was exactly what one expects a bachelorette party to be. Granted, there weren't any sex toys or alcoholic drinks, but we didn't need them--we had a blast.

The reality that my best friend is going to be somebody's wife has hit. In many ways I feel that we are still the same silly, whimsical teenagers we were when we met. But we're not. We're women. Silly, whimsical women.

For example, this morning she and I joked that I was going to steal her from Chad and we'd go on the run, re-enacting Telephone a la Gaga and Beyonce. We went on a tangent with it and made up tangled soap opera plotlines about our star-crossed elopement. It was fun and it's the same sort of way we've always talked, never taking our lives too seriously.

But tomorrow morning, we aren't going to make a jailbreak clad in fishnet stockings, hair set in rollers. She is going to put on a white dress and take a vow, and everything is going to change.

Will we still be able to joke around about our undying love for one another? Will we still spend hours spinning our imaginations together into webs of ingenuity? Will we still watch romantic comedies and eat mint chocolate chip ice cream and laugh at the cheesy actors?

Only time will tell. But despite the fact that her life is changing, I know our friendship will hold strong. We lead vastly different lives. Rather than estranging us, it's created a symbiotic curiousity about the "other side." And while culture shock can throw you for a loop, new experiences and concepts evolve a person.

Tomorrow I will get to experience being in the wedding party of a couple married in the temple. I'm a little bit nervous that I'll feel like a fish out of water. But mostly, I'm excited. Though culturally differences impede many relationships, friendship has brought me here. And that is all I need to know that I belong.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.7.4

No comments:

Post a Comment